The Division of Student Affairs is committed to providing fulfilling and productive work experiences in part, by helping staff integrate their lives at work and their lives outside of work.


We are dedicated to continually enhancing our work environments and structures to ensure that they are staff-friendly and on the forefront of Work-Life practices.

Stay on top of Work-Life in Student Affairs with our Work-Life newsletter.

Let us know what you need to ensure your life at work and your life outside of work complement each other.  Please email or call us if you have any questions or comments.

Best Regards,

Brooke and Maria
​and the Student Affairs Work-Life Committee


The Division of Student Affairs provides work environments that support the whole person, who has both a work life and a life outside of work, through policies and practices that allow for flexibility and innovation in the way the core mission of each unit is achieved.


The Division of Student Affairs provides its staff with opportunities to explore a variety of options to enable them to manage the sometimes competing demands of their work and their life outside of work.  We strive to ensure that staff members and supervisors are aware of various programs and opportunities and engage in dialogue about ways to improve work-life integration in each department.

Key Values

  • Quality work
  • Respect
  • Fairness (not necessarily equality)
  • Open communication
  • Honesty
  • Trust


  • Accomplish the work to be done
  • Maintain the integrity of the work environment
  • Convey professionalism
  • Function within the guidelines of the Memoranda of Understanding for Exempt and Non-Exempt Staff



The Division of Student Affairs encourages on-going education for all staff!  We support the University’s mission to be an institution which "nourishes a climate of intellectual growth".

Staff may continue learning as part of a degree-seeking effort, for career advancement, to enhance job performance, and/or for personal development and can earn college credits or simply audit classes (with no grades and no expectations to take exams). 

Staff - regular full-time and part-time staff and staff on certain Contingent Category 2 contracts- are eligible for "tuition remission" whereby the University pays the tuition costs for classes.  Dependents (under age 26 ) and spouses can qualify for tuition remission, too.  See the University Human Resources' Benefits Office's "Tuition Remission Facts.   And if you or your dependents want to attend another University System of Maryland school, a 50% tuition remission benefit is available.  See tuition remission policy revision from 2011.

Follow these steps:

Get Registered
Get Ready to Learn!


University of Maryland employees have the option apply for four different opportunities:

undergraduate admissions,
graduate admissions,
undergraduate non-degree seeking, and
advanced special student (graduate non-degree seeking).

Undergraduate Admissions

Applying as an undergraduate student requires an online application. Please browse the undergraduate catalog, on this page you can find more information on how to apply, requirements for admission, and deadlines.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Applicants who qualify for admission but do not want to work toward a degree may be admitted as non-degree seeking students.

Non-degree seeking students who already have a baccalaureate degree are advised that no credit earned while enrolled may be applied at a later date to a graduate program. These post-baccalaureate students may enroll in undergraduate courses for which they possess the necessary prerequisites, but may not enroll in courses restricted to graduate students only. Students who wish to take courses at the graduate level (600 and above) must contact the Graduate School for information concerning admission requirements for Advanced Special Student status.

Non-degree seeking students who do not have a baccalaureate degree must submit transcripts and meet regular admission standards. Transcripts are not required from students with baccalaureate degrees from a regionally accredited institution.  And non-degree seeking students who need credits earned here to transfer immediately back to another institution may apply without academic transcripts. For more info see

Because of space limitations, several departments require that permission be given in advance to register for classes as a non-degree student. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for further information.

Graduate Admissions

A great place to get started for graduate school admissions is here:  All applications must be completed online.

Advanced Special Student Status

Although the primary mission of the Graduate School is to conduct programs of graduate instruction leading to advanced degrees, the Graduate Faculty will admit qualified Non-Degree students as Advanced Special Students, to the extent that resources allow.

Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are visas are eligible for Advanced Special Student admission, in certain specific situations, but not for preparation for a degree program. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for more information.

Advanced Special Students are also ineligible to receive merit-based financial aid from the University, including graduate fellowships and teaching, research, or administrative assistantships.

Please visit this website: to find answers to frequently asked questions, admissions policies, and deadlines.


Once enrolled in the university, it is time to register for classes. Typically registration is in late Spring for the Fall semester and in late Fall for the Spring semester. Each student is given a specific date on which they may begin registering for courses. Some students may be required to attend advising appointments prior to registration.

All course registration is done online through the Office of the Registrar. You may hear this site referred to as “Testudo”. Please click here to access the site:

Next, determine which courses for which you would like to register. Please note that some programs have specific requirements regarding which courses should be taken during a student’s first semester. You should also refer to your college’s/program’s handbook for required courses. You can browse all courses by clicking on “schedule of classes” on the “Testudo” web page. Courses are organized on this page by program concentration. Once you have determined which course(s) you will take, you will need to click the “Registration (Drop/Add)” link on the “Testudo” page.

On the Registration page, you should type in the course title and section number into the fields provided and click “enter”.

Get Tuition Remission

Once you have registered for classes, the next step is to apply for Tuition Remission. Remember:  1.)  The deadline for payment and 2. How many credits you are permitted to take during a given semester. The limits are based on your appointment information. Please visit this page to find up-to-date information on deadlines and limits:

Apply for Tuition Remission online through the UHR Website Benefits page: . Once on the benefits page, click on the “Tuition Remission” tab on the right hand side of the page. This page will provide you with links for additional policies. Next, click on the “Apply for Tuition Remission” tab on the right hand side of the page. Once on the “Apply” page, you will choose either to apply for tuition remission for the UMCP campus (completed online) or other USM Institutions (paper version), The online form (which is in the ELFsystem) requires you to log in using your directory ID and password. Once logged in, click on “Access My Forms” on the left hand side of the page. You will create a new form and send it to the director of your department for approval (this is done electronically).

Once your supervisor/director approves your request, it will be processed by University Human Resources. You will be contacted by email when your application has been approved.


Now that you are enrolled and have received confirmation regarding your tuition remission, you can get ready to learn. Here are some helpful links that can help make your return to the classroom successful:

Counseling Center:

Disability Support Services:

Library Services:

ELMS (Enterprise Learning Management System):

Frequently Asked Education and Training Questions

If necessary, talk with your supervisor about the possibility of an adjusted work schedule if your classes might conflict with work.  Typically, staff may attend class during their work time if the class is work-related.  If the class is not work-related, flextime might be allowed so that staff can attend class on their own time during the work day with no lost work time for the University.  According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, flextime might not be permissible for some staff, particularly housekeeping and maintenance staff who have set work schedules and by definition require direct supervision.  Therefore, some staff may use accrued leave to attend classes.  Again, it is important that you speak with your supervisor.  Also feel free to contact one of the Student Affairs Work-life Consultants to get more help.  You don't need to conact a consultant in your own department- any one of the consultnats would be happy to help you!


The Division of Student Affairs values on-going training and professional development for staff! 

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Continuing education required for professional associations, certifications, and licensure
  • Attendance at conferences
  • Occasional programs or events on campus
  • CPR certification

Departments may pay for or subsidize the costs of training and professional development depending on the relevance to a staff member's position.  Costs that may be covered include fees, travel, food, and lodging and may depend on departmental budgets.  Both of the Memoranda of Understanding for Exempt and Nonexempt staff state that CPR training costs are covered by the University when CPR is a job-related skill.  When professional certification is job related and there is evidence that the certification will benefit the department, the department may pay to renew certifications.

Departments may also support professional training by making schedule adjustments which allow staff to participate in work-related training during scheduled work hours.  If training occurs outside of scheduled work hours, adjustments may be made in a staff member's schedule to provide for some level of compensatory time in accordance with the MOUs for Exempt and Nonexempt staff.  Both MOUs include the provision of a Professional Development Day (at the Union’s discretion and with approval from the Director of the Department of University Human Resources).  Use of a Professional Development Day for additional training will not require a staff member to use annual leave. 

If you are interested in training and professional development, you may be asked to create a plan to your supervisor.  Talk this over with your supervisor and contact a Student Affairs Work-Life Consultant.who can help you navigate this process.

Flexible Work Arrangements

Flextime  |  Part-time  |  Compressed Work  |   Telework



What is Flextime?

Flextime is a work schedule with daily start and end times that are different from the University's standard business hours of 8:30 am to 5:00 pm or from the work unit's standard shift hours.  Nonexempt staff have set schedules that are permitted to change only in accordance with the University of Maryland's Memorandum of Unerstanding for Nonexempt Staff.  For exempt staff, work schedules may vary.  

What are the benefits of Flextime?

  • Provides office coverage and services outside of the standard 8:30 am to 5:00 pm work day
  • Accomodates commuting or schedule constraints (such as long commutes, public transportation schedules, or taking a child to school/child care)
  • Reduces rush-hour traffic on and around campus

What does Flextime look like?

  • A schedule with different start and end times every day of the week; for example, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, or 10 am to 6:30 pm
  • A predictable schedule that has some different start and end times; for example, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but 7:30 am to 4:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Some offices have “core” hours (for example, from 10 am to 2 pm) during which time all staff, including those on flextime schdeuls, must be present at the workplace

What issues need to be considered regarding Flextime?

  • The position must be suitable for Flextime.  The requirements of the Memoranda of Understanding for Exempt and Non-exempt staff have been met and the position's duties and responsibilties may be performed on a Flextime schedule.
  • The employee must be considered by the supervisor to be eligible for Flextime .  The employee must be in good standing, have positive performance reviews, and be capable of managing a flexible schedule.
  • Work flow and communication with co-workers and customers must be considered.
  • Personal security should be considered if an employee is to work hours well outside the established work day.
  • Arrangements for responding to emergencies should planned for if an employee will be working alone.
  • The employee and supervisor should periodically evaluate the Flextime schedule. 

Are Flextime schedules temporary or permanent?

  • Flextime schedules can be for an extended period, for a short term, or on a temporary basis.
  • Changes to the Flextime schedule must be made with supervisory approval.

How do I get started with Flextime?

  • Know whether your are in an Exempt or Non-exempt position and consult the Memorandum of Understand for Exempt or Nonexempt staff to determine whether your position is suitable for Flextime.
  • Review a written version of your position description to fully understand all of your duties and responsibiliies.
  • Review your past performance review documents to help guage whether you think your supervisor will consider you eligible for Flextime.
  • Answer the questions provided in the Conversation Guide for Staff (hyperlink).
  • Answer the questions provided in the Conversation Guide for Staff and Supervisors (hyperlink).
  • Draft a proposed schedule and time frame (short or long-term).
  • Talk to your supervisor in person about your interest in a Flextime schedule.
  • Continue with in-person dialigue with your supervisor about your interest in Flextime.

What do I do if my supervisor will not approve Flextime for me?

  • It is a supervisor's right and responsibility to make decisions that are best for the workplace.
  • Ask if your supervisor considers your position suitable for Flextime.
  • Ask if your supervisor considers you eligible for Flextime.
  • If you don't understand, ask for more information.

What are some examples of Flextime in Student Affairs?    

  • An office is open from 8 am to 5:30 am because one front desk staff member works from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and another front desk staff member works from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
  • A staff member works from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm two days per week during a sport season to be able to coach a high school team.
  • A staff member works from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm to have quiet time to devote to computer programming in the evening when other employees have gone home.
  • A staff member who has standing meetings with students in the evenings come in to work later in the morning on the following days.

[top of page]



What are the benefits of part-time and seasonal work?

  • Accomplish work without having to incur the cost of a full-time salary
  • Allows employees to pursue objectives in other areas of their lives (for example, parenting roles, eldercare, or continuing education)


  • Provided at the discretion of the departmental director depending on the work which needs to be accomplished.
  • The institution permits reduced time schedules which are accompanied by a corresponding reduction in pay (for example, 75% work time = 75% salary)
  • A 9 1/2 month appointment must be requested by August in order to ensure release time for the following summer.
  • Can be either temporary or long-term


Student Affairs practices include:

  • 20-hour, 30-hour, and 35-hour positions
  • 9.5 month appointment. See the campus statement on 9.5 month appointments for Nonexempt and Exempt staff.
  • 9 months with one department and possibly support for arrangement of 3 months with another department
  • Temporary and more long term arrangements depending on length of time the employee and employer desire an alternative schedule
  • Various hours per week, for example, working 32 hours per week (80% time) might be more feasible working 20 hours (50% time), but sometimes 30 hours (75% time) is more appropriate. The amount of time is up to the employer.

1. Can I reduce to a part-time appointment?

Changing from a full time position to a part time position depends on many things, including the needs of the department, the needs of the employee, the ability to reduce the workload in the position, whether the department is a self-support or state-funded department, and authorized approval.

Because full time positions have full schedules and need 40 hours (or more) weekly to get the work done, a department may be unable to accommodate a reduction in work hours. However, it could be possible to rearrange an employee’s responsibilities to give other staff members new and different job challenges and accommodating a request to reduce one position to less than full time (any percentage of time less than 100%). In addition, the department may be willing to hire another person to handle other responsibilities.

Leave earnings and credit towards retirement are prorated for part-time staff at a level commensurate with their appointment. For example, employees at 50% time, earn leave at 50% their full-time rate. If an employee falls below half time, the person may not be eligible for health benefits.

For a state funded unit, a request to increase a position back to full time would need to be approved by the budget office, while a self-support unit would simply have to document the need through the Division budgeting process.


Part-time working (include the link to the campus statement)

The University makes a great deal of use of part time working. When recruiting to a post, it is essential that managers consider the number of hours of work required and when they could most effectively be worked. Part-time hours can accommodate peaks of workload, whether they occur on a daily basis (ie heavier workload requirements in the afternoons, mornings, or over midday), or over the week (ie heavier workload requirements towards the start, middle or end of the week). You will also need to consider, and make clear to the member of staff, the degree of flexibility you might require around the work pattern.

As is the case with job sharing, any requests from staff to move to part-time hours must be seriously considered and any effects upon operational requirements considered carefully.

[top of page]

Job Sharing

Is job sharing possible?

A shared position is essentially two part-time positions. Important issues are communication and cost to the department.

Depending upon the job, two people with one set of responsibilities will need to communicate effectively with each other and with their supervisor to ensure that assigned tasks and duties do not fall through the cracks.

If a department creates two regular half-time appointments, the department will incur additional costs for benefits for the second employee. Hiring a contingent employee on contract (without benefits) as the second employee may be an option.

In the future, if the first employee wishes to return to full time, they may be unable to do so if their position is split with another regular, half-time employee. If the position was split with a contingent position, the department could provide notice that the contingent position is being eliminated, allowing the original position to be returned to full time.

For a state funded unit, a request to increase a position back to full time would need to be approved by the budget office, while a self-support unit would simply have to document the need through the Division budgeting process.

As with any part-time arrangement, leave earnings and credit towards retirement are prorated for parttime staff at a level commensurate with their appointment. If an employee falls below half time, the person may not be eligible for health benefits.

Job sharing is a program that allows two staff members to share the responsibilities of one full-time position, typically with a prorated salary and vacation, sick and holiday accruals. A job share assignment is a full-time job split between two individuals, each with responsibility for the success of the total job.

In a job share arrangement, each staff member shares a specific proportion of the full-time position through part-time scheduling, often with overlapping time in the office. Schedules can be designed to meet the needs of the job sharers and the office. Commitment can be 50/50, 60/40, or any variation thereof. The schedules may also overlap as needed, or desired.

Example of a job share arrangement:

Person 1: M,T,W = 20 hours

Person 2: W,Th,F = 20 hours

(Employees overlap for some number of hours on Wednesday)


What is a job share arrangement?

A job share arrangement is a form of regular part-time work in which two people share the responsibilities of one regular, full-time position. These positions are regular part-time and as such must involve at least a 50% commitment. Therefore, the time commitment of each of the two individuals participating must be at least 20 hours per week. Is this UMD’s policy or can it be a different split?

What are the benefits of job sharing?

Job sharing can provide many benefits, including reduced absenteeism, improved recruitment and retention of valued staff who may not want full-time employment, improved scheduling and continuity, increased breadth of skills and experience, allowance for unusual schedule needs of staff, and experience in working as a successful team.

What are the challenges?

Challenges of job sharing include the increased need for communication between the job share individuals, their colleagues and supervisor, so that division of responsibilities is clear; and the additional cost to the department to have two people on benefits for one position.

What considerations are there for negotiating this type of work schedule?

Either a staff member or a supervisor may recognize the need for job sharing, and either may introduce the option.

When the supervisor recognizes the need for job sharing or an employee approaches a supervisor with interest in a job sharing position, the supervisor should consider:

  • advantages of a job sharing situation
  • ability to restructure the position for clear division of responsibilities
  • availability of space and equipment
  • training and other indirect administrative overhead, and
  • schedule/continuity concerns.

If a job share arrangement is appropriate, discuss the arrangement in detail with the individuals who will be involved. Follow the standard university procedures for filling a vacancy and contact your local human resource representative for assistance.

If a staff member is interested in requesting that their full-time position be modified to that of a job share, they may submit a written proposal to the appropriate supervisor, which should include:

  • reason for the request
  • advantage to the unit
  • proposed work plan
  • proposed schedule
  • plan for communication/cooperation
  • plan for continuity

The supervisor will review the written proposal and meet with the staff member in a timely manner to discuss it in detail. If the share arrangement is not approved, a brief explanation should be provided. A negative decision is not a grievable action.

Final approval and arrangements for job sharing situations are at the discretion of the supervisor or manager.

When supervisors have responsibility for keeping the job share arrangement functioning, they may become concerned about the challenges involved. Successful job sharing arrangements usually place responsibility for a functional arrangement on the individuals sharing the job (job partners). By shifting the burden to the job partners, supervisors may be more comfortable approving a proposal for this type of arrangement. Both job partners agree up front that if one of the job partners is not meeting the needs of the organization or decides to leave the job, the other will revert to a full-time schedule, permanently or until a replacement job partner is found within a reasonable time frame. If a new job partner cannot be found and the remaining job partner does not want a full-time job, he/she will agree to resign from the job to be replaced by a full-time worker. This is considered a voluntary resignation and does not qualify the individual for layoff benefits.

How can a job share position be smoothly implemented?

If the job share position is one that is being created at the request of the current full-time incumbent, it is strongly recommended that the incumbent participate in the interview process for the vacant half of the position.

If the job share position is one that is being created at the request of the current full-time incumbent, it is strongly recommended that the incumbent participate in the interview process for the vacant half of the position.

[top of page]

9 1/2 Month Schedule

Can I work on a 9 ½ month schedule?

Student Affairs currently has staff on a 9 ½ month schedule.

A 9 ½ month schedule must meet the needs of the department. An employee works at 79% time (9 ½ months) and is 79% of the full time appointment salary year round over 26 pay periods. Then the employee does not report to work over the summer months. The mechanics for calculating pay, especially overtime pay for Nonexempt employees, may be complicated so departments considering such an arrangement should check with University Payroll.


Term time or seasonal working (9 ½ Months)

Term time contracts are likely to be extremely attractive to those with responsibility for caring for school age children. It may also be appropriate to offer this option where the needs of the service fit around the academic cycle.  The member of staff is engaged to undertake the required number of hours per week, over either the University or school term time. Salary and other terms and conditions of employment are pro rata.

Seasonal working is where the member of staff is engaged to work for less than 52 weeks per year, but the weeks that they do not work can fall at any time of the year (rather than necessarily during University or school vacations). For instance, there may be occasions during the academic year when workload is higher than during other times during the year, (for example, around the examinations period). Seasonal adjustments to time worked during this period may help.


How should holidays and time off be managed?

Answer needed.

Employees represented by a union may be governed by the appropriate bargaining unit agreement

Frequently Asked Questions about Part-time work, Job Sharing, and 9 1/2 Month Work

[top of page]

Compressed Work

A compressed work schedule allows an employee (either exempt or nonexempt) to work a standard 80-hour payperiod in fewer than 10 full workdays. 

Whether a staff member is exempt or nonexempt staff has critical importance for whether a compressed work schedule is allowed.

Exempt Staff are staff who are not subject to overtime pay. A full-time commitment typically requires a minimum of 80 hours per bi-weekly.

Nonexempt Staff are staff who must be paid overtime for hours over 40 that are worked in each week or not permissible to work a nine, 9-hour day schedule.

Common compressed work schedules are:

A compressed work week:

  • Four 10-hour days: working 40-hours over four days in a work week with a fifth day off
  • Four 9-hour days and one 4-hour day: working 36 hours over four days and working the fifth day for only 4 hours

Compressed work over a two-week pay period:

  • Work 45 hours in the first week of the pay period (9 hours for five days) and 35 hours in the second week of the pay period (9 hours for four days – minus an hour). (This type of schedule is only available for exempt staff.  If this schedule were to be applied to nonexempt staff overtime pay for the 5 hours worked above the 40 hours in the first week would be required and a permanent schedule with permanent overtime is not permitted.) 

Compressed work is permissible for exempt staff because they are not required to receive overtime pay. However, nonexempt staff, may not work beyond 40 hours per week in a permanent schedule basis.

In nonexempt positions (such as maintenance, office, service, and technical positions), employees earn overtime at a rate of time-and-one-half the regular hourly rate of pay for time that exceeds 40 hours.

In exempt positions (such as managerial, administrative, and professional staff positions), a fulltime commitment typically requires a minimum of 80 hours per bi-weekly pay period; exempt employees are expected to work the hours necessary to complete assignments on a schedule that satisfies the requirements of the job. Therefore, exempt staff cannot merely count their hours and decide they don’t need to work anymore. Many exempt staff routinely work more than 40 hours per week and are ineligible to earn overtime.  It is important to understand that one of the employment conditions for full-time work is working 40 hours per week.


[top of page]


1. Are Nonexempt employees allowed to telework? Are Exempt employees allowed to telework?

Telework is not mentioned in the current Collective Bargaining Nonexempt Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and, therefore, formal telework arrangements cannot be created with Nonexempt employees.

“Telecommuting” is specifically identified as a work option in the Exempt MOU and so Exempt staff may telework.

Article 3, Section 5 pertaining to this is as follows:

Section 5. Telecommuting

Due to the nature of Exempt employment and the nature of the services provided by professional employees at the University, the University may allow employees to
telecommute or work from a different location when prior written approval from the immediate supervisor or department director has been obtained. The decision to allow an employee to telecommute or work from a different location shall be made on a caseby-case basis depending on the nature of the employee’s duties and  responsibilities. However, nothing in this Section precludes the University from establishing positions where the employee is expected to be regularly present on the job. Nor shall the Section  be construed to prevent the University from requiring an employee’s physical presence 1) at any reasonable time, with reasonable prior notice to the employee or 2) at any time in response to a critical operational need.

Some of the reasons why telework is not offered in the Nonexempt MOU may include:

a. Supervision – By definition, Nonexempt employees require regular direction and supervision of their work. Establishing a regular telework arrangement where they are unsupervised for extended periods of time begs the question of whether they are expected to work independently, and hence should be Exempt employees.

b. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Issues – The University is required to pay Nonexempt employees for all hours worked, even if those hours are worked without permission. Having Nonexempt employees report to an on-site work location enables supervisors to monitor work hours separate from hours the employee is “clocked in.” In a telework situation, there is no direct oversight of the hours worked. An employee could report hours on a timesheet in PHR, but also track other hours separately and the employer would be unaware of, but liable for payment of, those hours. If an employee must be onsite to work, it is easier to monitor actual hours  worked.

c. Meal Breaks – A “duty free” meal period must be provided to Nonexempt employees under the MOU and FLSA. The employer cannot fully monitor and/or control when/if such breaks are taken when the employee works from home.

d. Workers Compensation – This is an issue for both Exempt and Nonexempt employees. If an employee works from home, that becomes the workplace and the University may be liable for any accident or injury occurring while they are working (tripping over furniture while walking to a work station such as a computer station, work table, etc.). Investigating incidents which occur off the University premises presents unique challenges.

While a department cannot formally establish a telework schedule with a Nonexempt employee, when it is in the best interests of the department, an employer can assign work to Nonexempt employees to complete using telework, subject to the concerns outlined above. Informal, unplanned, and incidental situations that occur on a case-by-case basis in response to unusual circumstances and that are to the benefit of the University are less likely to be of concern. However, supervisors must be mindful of the MOU anytime they consider allowing a Nonexempt employee to telework and consult with staff in University Human Resources for guidance.

2. Why can some employees telework but others cannot?

There are two common reasons why a supervisor might approve one person to work from home, yet not approve a telework request from another employee: 1.) the MOU restrictions, and 2.) the job duties.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement "Memorandum of Understanding" (MOU) for Exempt Staff permits telework. However, because the MOU for Non-Exempt Staff does not mention it, a formal telework arrangement for Non-Exempt Staff is not advised.

If a job's duties and responsibilities can be carried out away from the workplace just as well as at the workplace, that position is more likely to be allowed to telework. However, if a job's duties and responsibilities must be performed on site that position is not likely to be allowed to telework.

Staff members whose job duties involve interacting on a face-to-face basis with members of the campus community (e.g., providing healthcare, counseling services, or receptionist duties) or performing work with the physical structures of campus (e.g., doing maintenance, housekeeping, or preparing or serving food) do not have positions that are conducive to telework. However, if they also perform some duties that can be done off-site, they may be allowed to telework for that aspect of their job. For example, if an employee with on-site duties and responsibilities regularly spends 10-20% of his/her time, reviewing records, developing schedules, etc. then that employee may be permitted to telework once a week or once a pay period to conduct those job duties that can be performed off-site.

Employees must be familiar with their current job description prior to engaging in conversations about telework. Staff members who do not have a current copy of their job description are encouraged to ask for one. Dialogue (not merely written correspondence) between supervisors and employees is strongly recommended.

3. What happens if someone gets injured when teleworking?

If an employee is injured in the course of doing his or her job, including if the employee is teleworking, the employee may be eligible for Workers Compensation. However, the issues of deciding whether an injury which occurs when working off-site will be compensable (considered work-related or in the course of employment) are complicated. Supervisors need to spell out clear expectations for teleworking staff and their off-site work locations to minimize the potential for accidental injury.

4. Are there requirements for the off-site work area?

Employees are responsible for establishing an appropriate work area when teleworking. It is the employee’s responsibility to ensure the work location is in a safe condition, free from hazards to the employee or any equipment. Student Affairs is not responsible for costs associated with any initial setup or modifications of the worksite.

5. What are the confidentiality and security issues related to telework?

Employees are expected to ensure the confidentiality and security of all information and data they are working with. Employees who handle sensitive information (such as student or employee names, addresses, University ID numbers, social security numbers, or other personnel data) should be extremely careful about transporting such information between home and the office, as well as safeguarding such information off-site.

6. What are the considerations regarding equipment, access and support?

Issues regarding whether the employer or the employee will provide a computer and telephone should be determined as part of the telework agreement. Unless staff who have similar job requirements and roles are routinely provided with laptop computers and cell phones, employees who are interested in teleworking should assume that they will be responsible for having the computer hardware and telephone lines necessary. In addition employees are expected to provide their own ISP (Internet Service Provider). Decisions regarding support are made on a case-by-case basis by the supervisor.

This issue should be addressed as part of the process when a department and employee are considering a telework request. Some departments may be able to provide take home equipment, such as laptops loaded with the necessary software, or flash drives for transporting e-documents between home and work. Some departments can also provide remote access so that an employee can access their work computers from elsewhere.

7. What are the financial implications of teleworking?

Expenses for office and other supplies should be discussed prior to finalizing the telework arrangement and prior to any purchase. However, it is unlikely that a department will be able to reimburse an employee for certain expenses, such as internet access or printer supplies (for example, paper and ink cartridges).

Regarding any implications on teleworking on an employee’s personal income tax, employees are encouraged to consult with a qualified tax advisor.

8. Where can I find additional information about teleworking?

A number of issues that should be considered are outlined in the Student Affairs Work-Life Conversation Guides for employees and supervisors regarding telework accommodations.

Student Affairs supports telework!

We are ...

  • embracing 21st century technology,
  • performing exceptional work,
  • promoting sustainability,
  • exceeding expectations of our stakeholders, and satisfying the needs of our staff.   

If you are an office-worker, telework may be an alternative to working in the office.  It lets you to perform work tasks you usually do in the office at home (or other non-office location) during normal working hours.

​Telework is doing the same work normally performed at the workplace but doing it from home (or other location away from the office) usually using telecommunications and computer technology to conduct the work.

Telework is not the professional practice of working at home after hours (for example, to write reports or to catch up on email).

We recognize the benefits of telework and consider telework an important part of the larger Work-Life initiative.

Student Affairs permits telework under these conditions:

  1. the employee's job classification permits telework in accordance with collective bargaining agreements (currently, only Exempt Staff may telework according the collective bargaining agreement);
  2. the employee's regular job duties and responsibilities can be performed away from the workplace;
  3. the employee, work team, and supervisor can function well in a telework situation; and
  4. the telework location and equipment can support the telework arrangement.

Student Affairs' telework practices comply with the MOUs for Exempt and Nonexempt Staff.

State of Maryland Telework Law, Effective October 1, 2013

In March 2013, the Maryland General Assembly passed "Teleworking – Statewide Program and Goals", which increased the number of Executive Branch employees who telework to 15% of eligible employees (from 10% mandated in 1999) effective October 1, 2013.

The State of Maryland's Department of Budget & Management provides many resources for employees and supervisors regarding telework.

Teleworking Agreement
Agency Teleworking Implementation Manual
General Telework Requirements
Maryland State Agency Telework Coordinators
Maryland State Employees Telework Work Plan
Remote Workplace Self-Certification Checklist
State Telework Program- Evaluation Form
Suggestions for Setting Up the Home Office
Supervisor's Teleworking Manual
Teleworker Eligibility Checklist
Telework Policy
Telework Work Schedule
Teleworker's Manual

University System of Maryland, Policy and Procedure on Telework, April 3, 2012

In April 2012, the Chancellor of the University System of Maryland signed a policy for all USM Office employees permitting telework under appropriate circumstances where the position is suitable, the employee is eligible and schedules, procedures, and conditions have been arranged and approved.

***Remote work is a specific type of telework which is designed for off-site work.  Remote workers use their home or other remote work location as their primary work location and they are rarely in the organization's workplace. 

**The term "telework" is popular because it emphasizes work while  "telecommute" stresses just commuting.

Employee Guide for Exploring Work-Life Options

Supervisor Guide for Exploring Work-Life Options

Joint Employee/Supervisor Guide for Exploring Work-Life Options

Frequently Asked Telework Questions

Employee & Supervisor Dialogue

Conversation Guides for Discussing Work-Life Options

There may come a time when adjustments in an individual's existing work environment need to be considered to create or improve work-life balance. Arrangements may include taking classes or enrolling in training sessions, adjusting a work schedule, working from a remote location, or taking earned leave.

​Adjustments in the work environment can be beneficial not only for the employee but for the supervisor and organization as well. Employees who perceive they have positive work-life balance often have increased job satisfaction, productivity, and loyalty to the organization. Supervisors who support work-life balance in their organizations report higher staff morale, lower turnover and absenteeism rates, and greater worker efficiency and effectiveness. Some work-life options (such as working off-site) may even serve to support the sustainability efforts.

Not all work-life options are applicable to all staff. Staff that hold positions which require them to be physically present on campus, for example, cannot telework. Furthermore, non-exempt staff need to consider the Collective Bargaining Agreement which does not endorse telework.

The Student Affairs Work-Life Committee developed conversation guides to help employees and their supervisors work-life options.

The first page is a set of questions for employees, the second page is a set of questions for supervisors, and the last pages are questions for employees and their supervisors to jointly discuss together. These guides are intended to spark conversation, clarify issues, and facilitate solutions that will be mutually beneficial. The goal for the guides is to help employees and supervisors consider the impacts of work-life practices on all areas so that they can make informed decisions which are likely to result in successful outcomes.

The Division supports work place flexibility where it can be successfully implemented. Again, not all requests for work adjustments can be accommodated. Departmental needs must be met and existing departmental and University policies must be followed, particularly the MOU for Non-Exempt staff. Employees and supervisors need to work together to determine how best to support work-life balance.

Understanding Leave & Benefits

The University of Maryland offers generous Leave options and Benefits packages to its employees.

In this section, you will find information on paid and unpaid Leave, along with Benefits available to you and your family.  

Paid and Unpaid Leave are offered to help your establish your own work-life balance.

Paid Leave (4 types) available by the University:

  • Annual Leave-  Annual leave is earned at varying rates depending on job classification and years of service.  And Advanced Annual Leave is available in certain situations...(read more)
  • Sick Leave- All staff earn 15 days of sick leave per year.  And Advnaced Sick Leave and Extended Sick Leave s avilable in certain situations… (read more)
  • Personal Leave - All staff are given three days of personal leave per calendar year beginning January 1… (read more)
  • Leave Reserve Fund – is available to any employee who is temporary medically disabled… (read more)
  • Other Paid Leave - The University provides paid leave in situations such as:
    • Administrative Leave - Employees may be granted paid leave when the university closes in for emergency conditions.
    • Bereavement Leave - Employees are granted paid Bereavement Leave, not to exceed 3 days or 5 days if overnight travel is required… (read more)
    • Holidays - Employees earn 11 holidays per year (or 12 holidays during an election year)
    • Jury Duty - Employees selected for jury duty may be absent from work without loss of pay and without any charge to accrued leave for the day(s) of jury service.
    • Legal Action - An employee who is summoned to appear in court before a grand jury, before an administrative agency… (read more)
    • Military - An employee may be entitled to a leave of absence for military training… (read more)

Unpaid leave offers you additional options to balance work and personal life.

  • Leave of Absence Without Pay - may be granted to an eligible employee for situations… (read more)
  • The Family Medical Leave Act - provides protected time off work, up to 12 weeks a year for eligible employees… (read more)

Various benefits packages are offered to you and your family.

Benefits that are administered through University Human Resources includes the following:

  • Health Insurance – includes medical, dental, and prescription insurance… (read more)
  • Flexible Health Care Spending Accounts – allows employees to set aside tax-free money to cover eligible health care expenses… (read more)
  • Flexible Dependent (Day) Care Spending Accounts – allows employees to set aside tax-free money to cover day care expenses… (read more)
  • Retirement plans – are available for both nonexempt and exempt staff… (read more)
  • Tuition Remission – is available for staff to attend to other USM institutions as well as… (read more)
  • Family Care Resources and Referral Services – assists staff family care needs and concerns and provides free consultations and seminars… (read more)


  • Leave of Absence Without Pay
  • Protection for Absent Employees

Note: Many answers to personnel-related questions are found in the “Consolidated USMH and UM Policies and Procedures Manual."

Further details can be found in The Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) for The Memoranda of Understanding (MOU for Nonexempt Staff and The Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) for Exempt Staff documents.


1. What paid leave options may help employees balance work and personal lives?

There are four types of paid leave:

  • Annual Leave
  • Sick Leave
  • Personal Leave
  • Other Leave


2. Can you explain Annual Leave? And what is an advance on Annual Leave?

Employees may use earned annual leave when absent from the workplace.

Annual leave is earned at varying rates depending on job classification and years of service. Exempt employees earn 22 days of annual leave per year and after 20 years of service, they earn 25 days per year. Nonexempt employees earn 10 days of annual leave per year when they start; after five years of service, they earn 15 days; after 10 years of service, they earn 20 days; and after 20 years of service, they earn 25 days per year.

Only 400 hours of annual leave can be carried from one calendar year to the next. After the last pay period of the calendar year, any amount over 400 hours is lost- it is not credited to any other leave program.

Employees who leave the University are entitled to compensation for any unused available annual leave. More details can be found in the Annual Leave for Exempt staff and Annual Leave for Nonexempt staff publications.

An advance on annual leave is possible if an employee must be away from the workplace but has not yet accrued sufficient annual leave time. Employees may receive up to five days of annual leave in advance and this must be paid off. More detilas can be found in the Advances on Annual Leave publication.


3. Can you explain Sick Leave? And what is an advance on Sick Leave and extended Sick Leave?

All staff earn 15 days of sick leave per year with no limit on the amount of sick leave that can be carried year to year. For staff in the State Pension retirement system, any unused Sick Leave is counted towards years of service when calculating the employee’s retirement benefit. This is not the case for staff not in the State Pension retirement system.

Employees may use earned sick leave to be absent from work for health reasons- illness or healthcare appointments that cannot be made outside of the workday.

Employees may also use sick leave to care for immediate family members who are ill or have healthcare appointments. Immediate family members include the following irrespective of residence: spouse, child, step-child, grandchild, mother, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother, sister, grandparent, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or legal dependent. In addition, employees may also use sick leave to care for any other relative who permanently resides in the employee's household for whom the employee has an obligation to provide care.

Staff may use up to 15 days a year to care for family members who are ill or have healthcare appointments. If caring for a family member living in their home in a “critical care” situation, employees can request to use an additional 15 days of their accrued sick leave to care for the family member.

An advance on sick leave is possible depending on circumstances for up to 60 days (depending on years of service) for an employee’s own illness/injury if the employee has exhausted all paid leave. This must be paid back.

Extended sick leave may be granted to employees who have at least five years of service and have exhausted all of their paid leave and have already had an advance on sick leave. Extended sick leave may provide up to one year of paid leave and does not need to be paid back.


4. What is the Leave Reserve Fund?

The Leave Reserve Fund is available to any employee who has who is temporarily medically disabled and has used all available sick leave, advanced sick leave, extended sick leave, personal leave, and compensatory leave. This fund provides paid leave to employees. A maximum of 20 days will be granted at a time. The maximum number of days which may be requested from the Leave Reserve Fund cannot exceed one day for each month of service. Eligibility  includes at least one year of service and satisfactory work records.


5. Can you explain Personal Leave?

All staff are given three days of personal leave per calendar year beginning January 1. Personal leave may not be carried over to the following year; any unused personal leave at the end of the calendar year is lost to the employee.

The unused personal leave actually goes to the Leave Reserve Fund managed by the University System.


6. Can you explain Other Paid Leave?

The University provides paid leave in certain situations. The following situations are listed on employees’ timesheets:

  • Administrative Leave - Employees may be granted paid leave when the university closes for emergency conditions.
  • Bereavement Leave - Employees are granted paid Bereavement Leave, not to exceed 3 days or 5 days if overnight travel is required on account of the death of any member of the employee’s immediate family: spouse, mother, mother’s current spouse, father, father’s current spouse, mother-in-law, father-in-law, grandmother, grandfather, or a grandchild (or great-grandmother, great-grandfather or great-grandchild) of the employee or the spouse, son, stepson, son-in-law, daughter, stepdaughter, daughter-in-law, foster child still living with the employee, brother or sister of the employee, brother-in-law or sister-in-law, or any relative permanently living in the immediate household of the employee at the time of death.

    Employees shall be granted 1 day of paid Bereavement Leave on account of the death of the employee’s or his/her spouse’s aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew.

    Details on bereavement leave for Nonexempt staff and bereavement leave for Exempt staff can be found in these publications.

  • Holidays - Employees earn 11 holidays per year (or 12 holidays during an election year)
  • Jury Duty - Employees selected for jury duty may be absent from work without loss of pay and without any charge to accrued leave for the day(s) of jury service.
  • Legal Action - An employee who is summoned to appear in court, before a grand jury, before an administrative agency, or for a deposition, and is neither a party to the action nor a paid witness, may be absent from the job without loss of pay or charge to any accrued leave. If an employee is a paid witness, leave may be charged or the employee may be granted a leave of absence without pay. If a nominal court witness payment is provided, the employee may endorse the check to the institution and not have the period charged against leave.
  • Military - An employee may be entitled to a leave of absence for military training for up to 15 days per year without loss of pay or charge to any leave. An employee called-up to active military duty during a crisis has certain leave provisions. Details can be found in the Policy on Military Leave with Pay and the Policy on Call-up to Active Military Duty publications.

    The University also provides accommodations for service with the union, as an election judge, disaster service, accident leave as part of Worker’s Compensation, etc.

    Whenever more information is needed or policies need to be clarified, employees are advised to contact their department’s Human Resources coordinator, University Human Resources staff, and/or refer to University policies, Section VII: Personnel.


7. What is the unpaid leave option that may help employees balance work and personal lives?

Leave of Absence without Pay may be granted to an eligible employee for situations such as: loan of an employee to another agency/institution, employment which lessens impact of a layoff; professional activities related to academic research, study, or career development, or anticipated low demand for the employee's services.

All regular employees may request a leave of absence without pay up to a maximum of a two-year period.


8. What protection is there for employees who need to be absent from work for family and medical reasons?

The Family Medical Leave Act provides protected time off work, up to 12 weeks a year for eligible employees for their own pregnancy, childbirth, adoption or illness, or to care for a family member. Must use annual and sick leave first and to remain in paid status, followed by Leave Without Pay at which point, the state continues to pay its portion of health insurance premiums for the employee.


9. What University benefits make it easier for employees to balance work and personal lives?

University benefits are administered through University Human Resources.

Benefits include the following:

  • Health Insurance
  • Flexible Health Care Spending Accounts
  • Flexible Dependent (Day) Care Spending Accounts
  • Retirement plans
  • Tuition Remission
  • Family Care Resource and Referral Service


10. What health insurance does the University offer?

The health insurance includes medical, dental, and prescription insurance, life insurance, long term care insurance, long term disability insurance, and death/dismemberment insurance.


11. What are Flexible Health Care Spending Accounts?

Flexible Health Care Spending Accounts allow employees to set aside tax-free money to cover eligible health care expenses of the employee and dependents.


12. What are Flexible Dependent Care Spending Accounts?

Flexible Dependent (Day) Care Spending Accounts allow employees to set aside tax-free money to cover day care expenses for an employee’s dependent under the age 13 or spouse/ dependent who is incapable of self-support, and who spends at least 8 hours per day in the employee’s home so that the employee can continue working. If married, the spouse must be working, a full-time student, or disabled.


13. What retirement plans does the University offer?

Retirement plans are available for both Nonexempt and Exempt staff. Nonexempt staff are enrolled in the State Retirement and Pension System when initially hired which provides retirement income at a determined amount based on a formula involving salary and service.

Exempt staff are eligible for one of two retirement programs: the State Retirement and Pension System which provides retirement income at a guaranteed amount based on a formula involving salary and service or the Optional Retirement Program which is a defined contribution plan using investment companies (currently Fidelity Investments and TIAA-CREF) to provide a benefit based upon the employee’s accumulated account balance. The employee must select either the State System or the Optional Program. If the State System is selected, it may only be changed to the Optional Program within the first year of employment; if the Optional Program is selected, that cannot ever be changed.


14. Can you explain tuition remission?

Tuition remission is available for staff to attend other USM institutions, as well as Baltimore City Community College, St. Mary's College of Maryland, and Morgan State University.

In addition to the University of Maryland, College Park, the USM institutions are: University of Maryland, University College; University of Maryland, Baltimore; University of Baltimore; University of Maryland, Baltimore County; University of Maryland, Eastern Shore; Towson University; Frostburg State University; Bowie State University; Coppin State University; and Salisbury University.

Spouses and children under the age of 26 eligible for tuition remission according to provisions and restrictions articulated in the UM policy.\


15. What does the Family Care Resource and Referral Service provide?

The Family Care Resource and Referral Service, administered through University Human Resources, assists staff family care needs and concerns and provides free consultations and seminars regarding child care and elder care resources.



Note that this list was compiled with Student Affairs Staff in mind. It is not an exhaustive list and these resources are not necessarily endorsed by the Division or the University; individual discretion is always essential.

Looking for a topic that isn't here, let us know! Call Brooke Supple or Maria Lonsbury at 301-314-8430 or email us at Found a bad link here? Let us know.


A  B  C  D   E  F  G  H   I  J  K  L   M  N  O  P   Q  R  S  T   U  V  W  X   Y  Z



Do you or a family member need academic help? The Learning Assistance Service in the Counseling Center can help you.


Do you or a family member need help with an addiction? The Counseling Center or the University Health Center can help:

Art Classes

Interested in art, dance, or other classes?  Consider the Art and Learning Center.

Alternative Work Schedules

Want information on part-time work, 9-month appointments, or job sharing?


Looking for info about the Maryland Terrapins' men's and women's sports, tickets, schedules, and more?





Need to learn how to repair a bike or need bike advice? The Eat Smart, Be Fit Maryland!" initiative and breastfeeding babies is included? Did you know that Maryland State law states that a mother may breastfeed her child in any public or private location? The Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition protects, promotes, and supports breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding: Lactation/Nursing Mothers' Rooms

Breastfeeding is encouraged everywhere but if a private space is desired to nurse or pump milk, there are at least six lactation/nursing mothers' rooms across campus available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

[top of page]


Camps (Summer)

Looking for a summer camp for little children?

Campus Get Aways (Great Spots on Campus!)

Looking for a nice place to "get away" for a little while during your day? Want to have your lunch outside where there are outdoor tables available? Where are all the different little eateries and cafes available in different buildings on campus? We are looking too! If you have ideas, please email them to us at and we will include them here!

Care for home and lifestyle


Need help with your personal entertaining?  Your next party at home or the office could be catered by the University of Maryland.

Cell Phones

Did you know that the University offers a cell phone discount program for staff? It covers AT&T, Sprint/Nextel, and Verizon.

Child Care Resources & Referrals

Free consultations, seminars, and resources for students, faculty, and staff regarding Child Care Services and Elder Care Services. See the Family Care Resource and Referral Service page. Looking for basic information about child care and schools in the area? Go to the Off-campus Housing resources page and click on Child Care and Schools.


  • Center for Young Children
    Did you know that The Center for Young Children offers an on-campus school for children between the ages of 2 and 6 and offers summer camps for kids through the 3rd grade?

  • Adult Children Attending The University of Maryland
    Are your older children looking to attend or attending UMD? There is lots of helpful information on the TerpParent website. And if you, as a parent of a college student, need a confidential, non-emergency support and consultation service, send an email to


Looking for art or exercise classes, ways to get involved, or to do things in the community?

Community Crisis Services

Do you need help with food, housing, employment, health care, and counseling? Call 301- 864-7130 (Hotline), 301-864-7161 (Alternative Number). See the Community Crisis website for more information.

Computer Resources

Did you know The Office Information Technology has a computer store program and offers support for staff!

Conflict Resolution on Campus, Staff Relations, and other resources

[top of page]


Death and Bereavement

The religious centers on campus can help you deal with a death in your family. The Counseling Center and Health Center are available to support you through bereavement.

Disability Issues

President’s Commission on Disability Issues:

Disability Support

Need help with Disability Support Services? The Counseling Center offers Testing Services, Reading Services, Hard of Hearing and Deaf Services, Academic Assistance, Individualized Coaching, Advocacy Support, and Para-transit Registration.


Eating Disorders

Do you or your student have an eating disorder?

Elder Care Services

Free consultations, seminars, and resources for students, faculty, and staff regarding Child Care Services and Elder Care Services.

Emergency Preparedness

Information on how the University is preparing in case of emergency and what you can do to be prepared as well.

Emergency Services

Emergency Services at the Counseling Center


(See Fitness)


Faculty and Staff Assistance Program

Information from the Health Center Assistance Program.

Family Care Resource and Referral Service

Free consultations, seminars, and resources for students, faculty, and staff regarding Child Care Services and Elder Care Services.

Family Restroom

Did you know there is a family restroom (gender neutral) on the ground floor of the Stamp Student Union across from the Hoff Theater?

Family Support

Need family support services? The Center for Healthy Families in the School of Public Health offers couples therapy, marriage therapy, family therapy, parent education, and continuing education for professionals.

Financial Assistance

Are you in need of a short term loan? Contact the Faculty Staff Assistance Program.

Financial Planning

Did you know that financial planning offered by the University's Cooperative Extension Service, provides financial planning seminars?

Also check out the University's Training and Development training course catalog.


There are lots of ways to get and stay fit through Campus Recreation Services Fitness classes. For classes in yoga, Pilates, tennis, Tai-Chi, dance, CPR, swimming, etc. as well as swimming classes and summer camps for kids:


Information on variable daily/weekly start and end times and compressed work weeks

Flu Shots

Seasonal flu shots are available for all staff and their families at the University Health Center.


You can have a lot of fun and learn something new at the Art/Learning Center. Classes in Art, Ceramics, Free, Music, Photography, and Self-Development and Summer Camps for kids.


Sign up for the University's daily information email called "FYI".  To join, send email to containing the message: subscribe fyi Your Name.



So much to experience!


Interested in improving your golf swing? Visit the Golf Course website to get more information on individual and group lessons.

Summer Jr. Golf Camp: Did you know that the Golf Course offers a summer camp for ages 7-17?




Did you know that there are Hearing and Speech Services for staff, their elders, and their children?


The Hospice Network of Maryland is a non-profit organization advocating for individuals and families facing the physical, psychological, spiritual and practical challenges associated with a life-limiting diagnosis and prognosis and with bereavement. For more information and to find hospice support in Maryland, click here.


Are you interested in buying a home?

[top of page]


Jewish Life/Hillel

Maryland Hillel's mission is to enhance the lives of Jewish undergraduate and graduate students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world.


Lactation Rooms on Campus

Breastfeeding is encouraged everywhere but if a private space is desired to nurse or pump milk, there are many lactation/nursing mothers' rooms across campus available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.


The University provides legal services and expertise for staff in the performance of their official. In a legal bind or wanting to avoid one? You can also look at the human resources code.

Legal Aid for Undergaduate and Graduate students.


Lunch Anyone? Looking for a great place to meet for lunch or dinner?
Swing by the University Golf Course and enjoy the food at Mulligan’s Grill and Pub or Adele's in the Stamp.




Do you enjoy meditating? The Garden of Reflection and Remembrance, on the south side of the Memorial Chapel, is a wonderful place for solace and quiet reflection.


[top of page]


Nursing Mothers' Rooms

Breastfeeding is encouraged everywhere but if a private space is desired to nurse or pump milk, there are many lactation/nursing mothers' rooms across campus available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

[top of page]



  • is a confidential non-emergency telephone and email support and consultation service for parents of college students

  • The TerpParent website is the best source of update information for parents

Parks and Recreation

Are you aware of all the things to do and places to go?


See the calendar of the Clarice Smith Center for the Performing Arts.

Professional Development

Many courses are offered by the Personnel Office.

Professional Development Day

Take a day off from your normal duties and responsibilities to advance yourself professionally. University staff in the bargaining unit are eligible to request one day per year. See also the Memorandum of Understanding, Article 9. Leaves of Absence, Section 20.


The Psychology Department offers a variety of resources.



Interested in recreation opportunities on campus for you and your family? Visit the Campus Recreation website.

Religious Support

Support for Baptist, Black Ministries, Christian Science, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Greek Orthodox, Episcopal/Anglican, Hindu, Jewish: Hillel and Chabad, Lutheran, Muslim, Roman Catholic, United Campus Ministry, and United Methodist is available at the Memorial chapel website.


See what dining opportunities are waiting for you in College Park.

Retirement Planning

Did you know the Benefits Office provides online information for selecting a retirement plan? Get a jumpstart on your Golden Years!

And the Training and Development Office offers a variety of programs on planning for retirement and general financial planning, at little to no cost.


Saving for College

Are you familiar with the easy, affordable and smart way to save for your child's education at nearly any college in the nation? Review the College Saving Plans of Maryland available to you!

Self Help

Review the numerous self-help articles from the Counseling Center.

Sick Leave

Did you know that you can take Sick leave to care for your immediate family or any relative permanently residing in an employee’s home?

Smoking Cessation

Interested in smoking cessation programs? See how the University Health Center Smoking Cessation Program can help you.

Student Entertainment Events (SEE)

For concerts, comedy, performing arts, special events, lectures and more. Visit the SEE website.



Sometimes known as Telecommuting (but we like to focus on the WORK!)

Working from home or other remote location on a regular basis, particularly when a worker uses a telecommunications link in place of a commute to a workplace. It refers to an employee doing the same duties in a remote location as the employee does at the workplace. See the Telework page for more information.

Terp Trader

Terrapin Trader is the university's on-going surplus operation and is open to the public. It offers used computers, printers, desks, chairs, and tables at a low price. Larger items, like vehicles or exercise equipment may be offered via eBay. See the "Inventory" and "Bid Items" tabs on the website for full details.

Testing Services

Offered through the Counseling Center Testing Office.

Thrift Store

See "Terp Trader" for information on the University's own "thrift" store for both personal and business items such as desks, chairs, and computers.



University Human Resources Training Department has training available for Employee Training and Development and other training classes.

Tuition Remission

Are you or your spouse/dependent ready to take classes?

[top of page]


University News

[top of page]



Are you a veteran? If so, there is support and services information at the Veterans website.


Did you know volunteering can make a positive difference in your life? Consider volunteering to help at America Reads Day or America Counts Day in April or anytime during the year. Visit the America Reads*America Counts website for more information.


Weddings at the Chapel

Planning a wedding? Consider the beautiful Memorial Chapel. Staff can get over 30% discount on fees.

Weight Watchers

The University hosts a Weight Watchers @ Work program.  Contact Jeannette Oliver at or 301.405.5565 for information.


Wellness services are available for the campus community including sleep education, diet analysis, body composition testing, blood pressure screening, nutrition counseling, relaxation training, and more!

Work-Life (Learning More About It)

Getting ready to discuss flexibility in the workplace? Make sure you look at the issue from both your perspective as well as from the other perspective. So if you are an employee, make sure you read about what the supervisor needs to consider and vice versa.

  • For Employees: from "When Work Works" for help:

    • Assessing Your Situation,

    • Creating Solutions, and

    • Making the Case for Your Proposal

  • For Supervisors: from "When Work Works" for help:

    • Understanding Work-Life Terms,

    • Understanding and Overcoming Barriers to Flexibility, and

    • Preparing a Communication Checklist

For an in-depth report of work and life in American society, look at "A Woman’s Nation Changes Everything," the scholarly, intriguing, and very current report by Maria Shriver and the Center for American Progress which promotes dialog on a national level about how in recent years the "lives of Americans have changed significantly" while the "parameters of their jobs have yet to change to meet new demands." The Epilogue is written by Oprah Winfrey.

Learn more about the work of the Alliance for Work-Life Progress which is committed to work-life effectiveness through promotion of healthy, productive work environments that value people and support personal life and family issues, while at the same time advancing business success. AWLP leads the National Work-Life Initiative, a multi-year national campaign to provide education and heighten awareness of work-life effectiveness as a key business issue.

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions:

  • staff eligibility for work-life practices
  • additional information and resources
  • access to information


Leave and Benefits Questions:

  • annual leave and advanced annual leave
  • sick leave, advanced sick leave, and extended sick leave
  • leave reserve fund
  • personal leave
  • administrative, bereavement, jury duty leave, military leave, and other paid leave
  • leave of absences
  • protection for absent employees
  • health insurance
  • flexible spending accounts
  • retirement
  • tuition remission
  • family care referral service Education and Training
  • tuition remission
  • professional development training


Flextime Questions:

  • options
  • issues
  • permanent and temporary arrangements


Compressed Work Questions:

  • compressed work weeks and compressed work over a two-week pay period
  • compressed work for nonexempt and exempt staff


Part-Time Work, Job Sharing, and 9 1/2 Month Work:

  • part-time work
  • job sharing
  • 9 1/2 month appointments
    • Availability of 9 1/2 Month Appointment for Nonexempt and Exempt Staff, Memorandum


Telework Questions:

  • nonexempt and exempt staff and telework
  • injuries if working off site
  • information security
  • resources and equipment

Work-Life Consultants

Student Affairs Work- Life Consultants are staff members trained on the various resources and options available through the Student Affairs Work-Life initiative.  Consultant serve as a resource and sounding board for a staff member’s work-life concerns and as a referral agent to assist the staff member in getting to appropriate resources.  A consultant does not take the place of an individual’s supervisor and does not have the authority to approve or disapprove work-life solutions.

Staff members in Student Affairs should feel free to contact any work-life consultant, whether in the same department or in another department.  If you are unsure about which consultant to contact, please send an email to the Student Affairs Work-Life committee at explaining the work-life accommodation you are interested in and we will get back to you. 


Jenna Beckwith, University Health Center

I have been part of the Work-Life Committee for more than two years and have seen the great benefits and investment the Division has in our work-life balance, job satisfaction and overall wellbeing.  I joined the consultant’s network because I am eager to share this information with others and to assist them in finding solutions that best meet their work-life needs and responsibilities. I am most skilled in preparing colleagues for work-life accommodation proposals and conversations with supervisors. 


Danny Catalano, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs

I wanted to be a work-life consultant to give a little back to the Work-Life Initiative for allowing me the privilege to telecommute one day a week most weeks for the past year and a half.  I have learned a lot about work-life balance over the years and put that knowledge to practice for myself the past 18 months.  I look forward to assisting others in possibly implementing a work-life initiative to best fit their needs. 


Cassandra Lytle, Counseling Center, Disability Support Services

With all of our competing priorities both at work and at home I think it is important for each of us to consider what work-life integration means to us and how to achieve it. Over the past couple of years I have been fortunate enough to telework and use tuition remission and I am eager to help others find their own work-life solutions.


Mary Kate Sullivan, Campus Recreation Services

My motivation to become a work-life consultant comes from the support I have received to return to school. I have utilized tuition remission benefits and flextime in order to make earning another degree fit in with my career plans and I want to provide support to others who are considering returning to the classroom. 


Colleen Thompson-Bynum, Department of Transportation Services
(301) 314-1297,

I became a work-life consultant because I think that the Work-Life initiative in Student Affairs is awesome.  Helping employees find the balance between work life and home life is very beneficial in fostering successful employees. 


Laura Tan, Department of Resident Life

I am excited to serve as a work-life consultant because of the opportunity it gives me to serve my colleagues within the Division of Student Affairs.  As a consultant, I can provide a listening ear and a helping hand to those who are navigating work-life issues or concerns.


Joan Bellsey, Faculty Staff Assistance Program


Heidi K. Biffl, Fraternity and Sorority Life


Chris Garcia, Residential Facilities

While not every work-life option is available to every division employee, a reasonable short term solution to a temporary difficulty can often work to everyone’s benefit.  If I can help all sides find a win-win, that makes my day. 


Barbara Goldberg, Counseling Center,  Learning Assistance Service

I have been working with adults in multiple roles for most of my time at the University Counseling Center.  I have been deeply committed to improving the quality of life for students, faculty and staff. The opportunity to be a work-life consultant  provides a perfect vehicle for me to continue to provide service to the community I am so  dedicated to.


Beverly Greenfeig, Counseling Center , Learning Assistance Service

I am passionate about serving as a work-life consultant because I value each employee's overall well-being. Every person's work-life balance is unique, and I look forward to assisting others in finding what solutions meet their individual needs.


Lactation and Nursing Mothers' Room

Available for Students, Faculty, Staff, and Visitors

Cole Fieldhouse- Room 1201, Bldg 162 - very comfortable seating, counter, sink, fridge
To access: The CRS Office (Room 1101) grants card swipe access 

The Diner- Room 1102A, Bldg 257 - comfortable seating, outlet, sink, fridge 
To access: Request key from any cashier

Martin Hall- Room 1131T, Bldg 088 - table, chairs, outlet
To access: Request room from staff or reserve using online calendar
(If room is unavailable, staff members will offer their individual offices.)

McKeldin Library- Room 4235, Bldg 035 - tables, chairs, outlet, fridge, window with blinds
To access: Keys are lent out on a monthly basis after completing a reservation form

Morrill Hall- Room 2101B, Bldg 040 - table, chair, outlets, sink and fridge
To access: Reserve using Outlook’s calendar for

Stamp Student Union- Room 2103, Bldg 163 - table, chairs, outlet, sink, changing station
To access: Request key from the Information Desk in the Main Lobby

School of Public Health- Room 1232, Bldg 255 - table, chairs, outlet, fridge, parenting books
To access: Facilities coordinator in the Dean’s Office grants card swipe access or opens the room

Van Munching- Room 1522B, Bldg 039 - chair, table
Access: Always open, lockable door        

For exact locations see

For More Information Contact:

Steve Gnadt, Stamp Union

Joe Mullineaux, Dining Services

Mark Brenneman, Sch. of Public Health

Christine Morris-Sumlin, Library
Debra Densmore, Clark Engineering

Sarah Goff-Tlemsani, BSOS

Kurt Klier, Campus Recreation Services

Mothers Lounge

Committee Members


  • Brooke Supple, Office of the VP for Student Affairs
  • Maria Lonsbury, Office of the VP for Student Affairs


Steering Committee:

  • Sean Ballantine, Residential Facilities
  • Brent Flynn, Campus Recreation Services
  • Cassy Lytle Wierzbolowicz, Counseling Center
  • Evonne Mathews, Stamp Student Union
  • Laura Tan, Resident Life



  • Jenna Beckwith, University Health Center
  • Joan Bellsey, University Health Center
  • Shirlene Chase, Dining Services
  • Nora Czumak, Fraternity & Sorority Life
  • Shawn Dennis, Campus Recreation Services
  • Lorraine DiPrima, Dining Services
  • Chris Garcia, Residential Facilities
  • Barbara Goldberg, Counseling Center
  • Beverly Greenfeig, Counseling Center
  • Angela Jackson, Resident Life
  • Kate Maloney, Campus Recreation Services
  • Julia Matute, Health Center
  • Stephanie Payne-Roberts, Adele H. Stamp Student Union
  • Terry Piper, Campus Recreation Services
  • Mary Kate Sullivan, Campus Recreation Services
  • Colleen Thompson-Bynum, Transportation Services
  • Quan Vu, Resident Life
  • Brain Watkins, Parent & Family Affairs
  • Alison Whitty, Campus Recreation Services